Aba Solleira Ribeira Sacra Mencía 2019
WineSpark Price €22.25
If the jaw-dropping scenery, stunning medieval buildings and gorgeous Galician food of Ribeira Sacra weren't enough, the wine is pretty good too...
- The main grape variety here is Mencía, which you’ll also find down the road in Bierzo. It's closer to the Atlantic coast here so you get a fresher and more elegant style of red
- The combination of granite and slate soils give the wines great depth and complexity - usually at a very gluggable 12-13% alcohol
- And you can't but admire the human achievement to make great wine from the land here. It’s harsh, steep and remote - they’ve been refining their craft for hundreds of years.
Given the conditions, it’s a region of small, fragmented production. So you need to know the best producers, and Carlos Rodríguez is right up there in Ribeira Sacra.
After 20 years’ consulting for big wineries in Rioja, he started his own project called Aba Solleira in 2017, where his wife Emi and her family are from.
The 2019 was their third vintage, and shows you exactly what good Mencía from a cooler and more classic Atlantic vintage looks like.
You get lovely peppery and violet aromas on the nose, and on the palate it’s elegant, smooth and perfumed, all at a delightful 12% alcohol. Beaujolais lovers rejoice!
|Grape(s) %'s||Mencia 100%|
|Region of origin||Galicia|
|Oak?||55 % of the wine aged in oak|
|Months in Oak||12|
|Type of Oak||tank of 3500 liters, french oak|
|Allergens (e.g. does it contain Milk, Egg, Fish, Nuts)||sulphites|
|Average age of vines||26|
|Average altitude of vines (m)||350|
|Is this wine organic?||no 100% but mostly|
|Biodynamic?||no 100% but mostly|
|Suitable for vegans?||yes|
|Ageing potential (years)||5-6 years|
|Ideal drinking window (e.g. 2021-25)||2021-2026|
We know how important it is to get your wine order quickly and efficiently. So we’ve partnered with UPS to offer next-day delivery on our wines.
Here’s what you need to know:
- It’s free - delivery is already included in the members' price
- It’s fast - you’ll get next-day delivery if you order before 12pm Monday-Thursday
- It’s environmentally-friendly - all our orders are shipped carbon neutral with UPS.
We ship to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland only. €2 per case is added to all Northern Ireland orders to cover additional shipping costs. The point of sale occurs in the Republic of Ireland.
Our minimum order requirement is 6 bottles and we ship in multiples of 6’s. This can be 6 different bottles!
You may need to show your ID on delivery.
Please read our Terms & Conditions for more information.