Cal Batllet Priorat Discovery 6-pack
WineSpark Price €197.30
Sometimes it pays to look outside the big-name regions, to find other gems that you might love.
Finding these kinds of wines is absolutely one of the best bits of my job.
Priorat is a wild, high and hot region two hours from Barcelona, not far from the Mediterranean. It’s home to one of Spain’s most expensive wines (L’Ermita).
When I asked a friend of mine, the highly respected wine critic Ferran Centelles, who I should work with in Priorat - Marc Ripoll was top of his list.
Marc is Priorat born and bred, and a fierce defender of the old winemaking traditions that are disappearing these days, in favour of more international, commercial styles.
The new vintages have just arrived, so I’ve mixed a 6-pack of Marc’s amazing wines for you to try. In it you’ll get:
- 3x Cal Batllet D’Iatra 2017 - an explosive blend of Carignan, Garnacha, Cab Sauv and Syrah, but smooth and approachable at the same time. If you’ve never tried Priorat before, this is the perfect place to start
- 2x Cal Batllet 5 Partides 2016 - this is Ferran’s favourite Cal Batllet wine. It’s made from 100% Carignan from Marc’s grandfather’s 100+ year old vines. And Decanter magazine agree, recently declaring it the joint 2nd best Carignan in Spain
- 1x Cal Batllet Escanya-Vella 2021 - For an extra-special (and refreshing) treat, this is made from a rare, local white grape called Escanya-Vella. It’s mineral, pure and juicy, and made in tiny quantities.
These are small-scale, artisan wines, made exactly the way Marc’s forefathers intended.
And with the most important and precious ingredient to make Priorat sing - time.
Just two hours from Barcelona, I love drinking and visiting Priorat - if you like your reds big, and with tons going on, then Marc’s wines are for you.
Ferran was sommelier at the famed El Bulli for 13 years, and now writes for JancisRobinson.com as the Spanish wine writer. There probably isn’t a more respected wine palate in Spain.
We know how important it is to get your wine order quickly and efficiently. So we’ve partnered with UPS to offer next-day delivery on our wines.
Here’s what you need to know:
- It’s free - delivery is already included in the members' price
- It’s fast - you’ll get next-day delivery if you order before 12pm Monday-Thursday
- It’s environmentally-friendly - all our orders are shipped carbon neutral with UPS.
We ship to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland only. €2 per case is added to all Northern Ireland orders to cover additional shipping costs. The point of sale occurs in the Republic of Ireland.
Our minimum order requirement is 6 bottles and we ship in multiples of 6’s. This can be 6 different bottles!
You may need to show your ID on delivery.
Please read our Terms & Conditions for more information.